The Kratky Girls Throw Out The First Pitch

The Kratky Girls Throw Out The First Pitch

Sunday, June 13, 2010

If your reading this for the first time, you may want to go back and red the whole story of my mission trip to the Dominican Republic in the past few posts.

La Liberacion


Today was a pretty neat day. It began by us driving to an inner city government housing project in Sosua called "Liberacion." We handed out lots and lots of candy to the kids. It was fun to see he smiling faces and it got a little crazy at times, as you can see below, but it was a great to bring a little joy into the lives of these kids.



Along the way a few impromptu volleyball "pepper" sessions broke out, along with some basketball pick up games happened. 2 things seem to transcend cultural lines: one is sports, and the other is God. I will talk about the latter below, but here are some pics of out day in la Liberacion:A New Church under construction and in service!
Justin- my roomate -and I handing out candy...
Kids grabbing candy... this got crazy at times! in a good way:)
Here is a little girl with a hand full of candy...
A couple of boys wanted me to take a picture of them...We got a chance to go to church at a local pastors church tonight, and it was a really cool experience. It was filled with worship songs (the same ones we sing except in Spanish) and an intense message from Pastor Rivas about bringing good news (Isiah 52:7) to the people, and how beautiful the feet of the people who bring good news are. Since the feet are what do most of the work in spreading good news, they are beautiful... Neat perspective huh! It was a very emotional and heart felt message, lots of screaming and very high energy. It was translated so we knew exactly what was being said. Like I said earlier it was cool to see how God transcends cultural barriers like language, skin color, and ethnic background. (Forgot my camera, so you will just have to take my word for it:)

Also some different things I saw during my day included cock fights, and crazy candy grabbing kids...
Cock Fighting...

This guy told us about his favorite Rooster who had his eye pecked out during a cock fight.
Candy Grabbers...


I also got out and did some shopping in the various markets. I found some pretty neat stuff here in Sosua. One more thing... The coffee here is unbelievable! I have 2 cups in the morning and 2 cups after dinner. I found the same coffee at the market... bought 2 bags to bring back... score!

On a seperate note... John Wooden (the legendary christian basketball coach) left quite a legacy, and this is a link to a great story full of awesome quotes of wisdom:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5249709

No comments:

Post a Comment