The Kratky Girls Throw Out The First Pitch

The Kratky Girls Throw Out The First Pitch

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Dominican Republic- Day 2- Te Gusta Jugar al Beisbol?

Today, I wasn’t really sure what to expect, but I was excited to get in the game…
First we crammed like 13 or 14 people + baseball equipment + hot dogs and buns into an 8 person minivan (or bus) and drove about 45 min to get to our baseball site- needless to say we were soaked with sweat by the time we got there… oh yeah- no a/c. It was in a remote place with some pretty primitive “housing”- makes you count your blessings. Also, its crazy how the motorcycles and mopeds buzz around us like we re not even on the road- there were all over the place!

The kids were waiting on us and were excited to see us. My job this week is to teach hitting to 12-15 year old kids. The baseball field was actually pretty impressive compared to some of the surroundings. Its clear that baseball is a priority in this culture (just like ive heard), and we did our best to try to make God a priority as well. I told the kids about how baseball was “muy importante para mi, but christo es primero en mi vida.” I was trying to get the message across that baseball is important, but Christ is #1 in my life.... and should be in theirs. The kids seemed to understand. I was surprised at how open to coaching they were, and how they loved hearing me try to speak Spanish… this was quite comical, but I think I got the point across most times. Man was it hot and crazy humid. We were supposed to have ice water to drink, but no ice was at the site…
bummer… hot water… left in the sun… got hotter as the day went on… as I needed a nice cold drink more and more…. Servants heart… I know…

I had such a great time working with these kids, and seeing their smiling faces, enjoy a game that brings them pleasure despite their poverty. One cool thing I noticed that some of the kids were walking around chewing something that looked like a root or tree. It was raw sugar cane… the Dominicans candy! – cool huh. After we were finished after about 5 hours in the sun, we loaded back up and came home. What a great experience! Everyone went straight for the lunch buffet – pizza & burgers, and then the ocean… snorkeling off the back cliffs… really cool. Too bad my legs cramped up – probably from dehydration – and I had to cut my snorkeling trip short. Well as for the rest of the day… gonna catch a well deserved nap, and rehydrate for the second day of camp. The weather today was great, and we had plenty of equipment for the kids- 2 answered prayers! – got to go to the market and get some sun screen – the back of my neck is fried!

Sorry No Pics today... I will take my camera to this site so you can see what I'm Talking about. Will add pics tomorrow.
M.A.T.L. - 143

1 comment:

  1. i hope you got ice water today. i can't wait to see your pics of the camp. the girls just asked me, "when is daddy going to be home for supper?" we are all missing you! love you!

    ReplyDelete