The Kratky Girls Throw Out The First Pitch

The Kratky Girls Throw Out The First Pitch

Monday, May 10, 2010

So Long 2010 Eagles...

After I have had a couple days to reflect on the season past, I want to talk about some of the things that I will remember the most about this extraordinary group of young men...

1. I will miss getting to see JB roam center field making diving catches and showing off his cannon of an arm. This kid was a flat out stud in centerfield, and because of his humble personality you would never know it.


2. I will miss seeing Jake Wise launch home runs over the left field wall (and then hearing the opposing coach go nuts about why his pitcher threw him a pitch to hit). Those moments caused me to chuckle as a coach.

3. I will miss my conversations with Jake Waldrep about life in general, and trying to keep Mcc calm in the dugout at times, as well as him playing referee for two ex pitchers trying to figure out how to get high school hitters out. I always enjoyed coming to the field and having "Wally" ask how my day was going and how my family was doing. Over a long and grueling season little things like these really picked me up when I needed it. Thanks Wally!


4. I will miss seeing Hunter Lemke compete on the mound with one of the nastiest breaking pitches in the Houston Area. This is a special kid who has been around the program for a long time and bleeds green and gold!



5. I will miss Strick taking the team through "Day by Day..." before games and thinking how intimidating it would be for another team taking the field after hearing that. I will also miss the toughness that Garrett brought to this group.


6. I will miss the way this group seemed unfazed by what was going on around them when game time rolled around. In between the lines when the umpire said "play ball" our guys were always ready to play. It didnt matter who they were playing, who was pitching, or where the game was being played. This was amazing to see as a coach.


...these were just a few of the memories that came to mind immediately. I'm sure many more will hit me as the season being over sinks in. Friday was a really emotional day for us all. I have been truly blessed to have such a great group of kids to work with, and I have no doubt that they will succeed in life much like they did this season.

If there is one message that I would like to leave with these seniors leaving soon it would come from a verse that I have continuously leaned on all year in tough times. I have shared it a couple of times throughout the year.

"Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

I always carried this verse with me in the back of my game hat, so if you ever saw me at the field during a game staring intently at the inside of my hat, this is what I was looking at.

2 comments:

  1. that was such a special group of guys... we will always remember the 2010 Eagles. I'm sad it ended the way it did. But I am glad to have you back home, as you probably noticed from the list of "to-do's" I've had for you lately!!
    you did a great job this season balancing coach & daddy jobs. i love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I happened upon your blog by checking out other followers from blogs that I follow. Seems as if we have similar priorities.
    Best,
    Jeff
    Indiana

    ReplyDelete